E Mail

I can be reached at Riplon@aol.com

Total Pageviews

Translate


"A birth certificate shows you were born. A death certificate shows you died. A completed scrapbook shows you lived!!!!!"



Click on Blog Photos to view them FULL SCREEN or to view a "slideshow" of images only.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bear-narrrrrd's in Cap Di, France


Saturday, September 29, 2007



Joie de Vivre, (Joy of Life for my friends in Rio Linda, CA) is attributed to the French, but clearly better understood by Italians. I also have new understanding of the essence of this term. More to follow later on this subject...

A day or two after our arrival some good friends of Bud and Ann's took us to dinner at a great seafood restaurant, on the water, just west of the new port of Monte Carlo, Fontville I think it was west, but that could be the reason we ended up somewhere near Portugal when I tried to drive back there. On the previous evening, the ladies proceeded us going home while Peter enjoyed a desert that was new to me, Double Vodka and Sorbet. As the men left, I thought heard Peter tell the owner, Bear-narrrrrrd that we would return on Sunday. Peter was speaking English. Bear-narrrrrd replied in French. I now know that Bear-narrrrd was telling Peter that he is not open on Sunday......

This evening, I attempted to find this marvelous place again. Now, driving a 12 cylinder BMW in a place where gasoline costs more than fine Cabernet presents it's own challenges. Add to this the fact that I have joined Dad in the tradition of a little wine while you dress and a little more after you are dressed, and of course a glass before you actually leave. Suffice to say they are not referring to me as Map Quest. I either filled up his car with gas, or I am now a stockholder in Exxon. I am not sure, I don't speak french... (Don't worry Dad, I drank the really old stuff, leaving the new wine for you. I decided drink the 1929 bottle, so you didn't have burden yourself with such old wine, could have turned ya know, but it didn't)

We finally found our way to the tennis club next to the great sea food restaurant, and surprise....Bear-narrrrrd was apparently at home dining with his family !!! Not wanting to purchase a larger holding in Exxon, we walked down the beach and stopped at the first place we found. Julie's first comment was "Dad would be horrified if he knew we were eating here!" Now, the short version... The four of us had the most fun you can possibly have. Our waiter, who didn't speak English until I stepped outside for a smoke was a complete floorshow. As I was standing on the seawall having a smoke and finishing my glass of wine, he approached, re filled my glass and out of nowhere he said to me,"Do you know why women enjoy French Men more than American men?" I told him I didn't have a clue and he replied, " neither do I, French men are such A@ holes!" It only improved from there. Ann loved him and as a matter of fact, Ann is the only one that he took an order from for dinner. He decided what the rest of us would have and his choices included baby octopus with black mushrooms for me, Calamari for Virgie and Veal with mushrooms for Julie. I won't even try to describe the deserts...It was an incredible experience on all levels....

On the drive home, I may have missed a turn or two, but we were all laughing and singing Arivaderche Roma. Life is always good (considering the alternative), sometimes it is great, and on rare occasions, like tonight it is simply priceless.... I wish you all many of the priceless ones. 













Live Well Love Much Laugh Often

Life is Far too Short for Cheap Wine or 

Slow Cars

No comments:

Post a Comment