E Mail

I can be reached at Riplon@aol.com

Total Pageviews

Translate


"A birth certificate shows you were born. A death certificate shows you died. A completed scrapbook shows you lived!!!!!"



Click on Blog Photos to view them FULL SCREEN or to view a "slideshow" of images only.

Monday, April 19, 2010

High School Graduation Party


Someone recently asked me to expand upon the story of the party I had for HS Graduation. He was a year ahead of me in school and missed the event.
A paddle wheeler that cruised The St Joseph River and where I had a graduation party for all my classmates....that got me kicked out of school and not allowed to attend the graduation ceremony!  Apparently getting the entire senior class drunk was an error in  judgement?  I don't think so...  Great rewards require risk!
*********************************************************************************
 I attended a Great Catholic High School in Mishawalka, Indiana
     This "sinful" event took place about 10 days prior to graduation.  I remember we had already been issued our cap and gowns (which I had to return!) For my graduation gift I decided upon renting The River Queen and a live band for a party.  I invited the entire senior class as well as many of the cute Junior and Sophomore girls.  When my high school became aware of this party, they contacted Dad and Ann to "clarify" the activities and of course provide a list of prohibited activities.  
    Not quite comfortable with the assurances of Dad and Ann, Monsignor (name removed to protect the anal retentive) demanded that 3 chaperones from the school were there .I selected two football coaches and I can't remember the third. 
 
     Our living room windows were some 20' tall and faced the river and our dock, where the River Queen awaited.  Dad had cocktails and hors d oeuvres for the chaperones in this room while we loaded the band and food on the boat.   Fortunately, no one noticed that the instrument cases made repeated trips back and forth to the boat and then neatly stacked behind the band stage.  They were, of course loaded with cherry vodka, a favorite back then, peppermint schnapps etc. 
     When the chaperones toured the boat prior to us leaving the dock, all they saw was food and soft drinks. As we left the dock, within minutes a flotilla of speed boats (all my Elkhart friends) tied up at the stern and began passing cases of cold beer on board, and I don't mean a few!  Then they joined the party as well.
     Well, the rock and roll blared, the booze flowed and a great time was had by all!  When we returned to the dock hours later, I think the average BAC was close to the drinkers GPA.  I remember the class genius MK, the kid that scored 1600 on his SAT's remained at my house for two days, recovering.  He had been, drunk, in the wheelhouse with the captain letting him pilot the boat!  The party lasted till dawn for most and into the next afternoon for a few. 
     For some reason, when Msgr X was made aware of some of the prohibited activities I think he summoned the devil to punish me or maybe became convinced that I WAS THE DEVIL! He went BALLISTIC!  If a student at this school, even if you were seen smoking off campus it was a major no-no and grounds for expulsion!   Well, smoking was nothing compared to Rip's celebration of Sodom and Gomorrah by The Monsignor's reckoning....My parents were informed that my diploma would be mailed to me IF Msgr X NEVER saw my sweet face again and I NEVER returned to the campus!

     Being the nice,well behaved compliant young man I was.............I walked into the graduation ceremony after it had begun when Msgr X was on the stage and powerless to wring my neck!   As I recall my appearance was "noticed" by my classmates and, shall we say..... a few may have applauded.

If Monsignor X (who was a very good man and priest) has any pull "upstairs" I will certainly spend eternity in a "warm Climate."

     
  





No comments:

Post a Comment