E Mail

I can be reached at Riplon@aol.com

Total Pageviews

Translate


"A birth certificate shows you were born. A death certificate shows you died. A completed scrapbook shows you lived!!!!!"



Click on Blog Photos to view them FULL SCREEN or to view a "slideshow" of images only.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Reno Air Races ~ Monte Carlo Grand Prix

Reno Air Races


 Five years ago, I traded the Reno Air Races for the Monaco Grand Prix ~ a reasonable exchange I'd say. BOTH should be on everyone's bucket list.

The Reno Air Races are this week and got me remembering~


 Rare Bear Pilot Lyle Sheldon was a neighbor and friend. He and "The Bear" were The Air Races to me in the early days.  We spent many a Sunday afternoon in my neighborhood bar, listening to jazz and me, listening to his stories...  Lyle was a SIX TIME Champion in the Unlimited Class.  He lived in the sky (at 500MPH) and now, resides in the Heavens.  Thank you Lyle for your friendship and the excitement you added to so many of my days. 

#7 ~ STREGA and Steve Hinton ~  Nine Time Gold Champion



                            

 


At some point, the Reno Ducks Unlimited Chapter won the bid to be provide the Awards Banquet after the races.  This was a dinner and BIG Cocktail party for 300 or so pilots and crew that had worked tirelessly all week.  In exchange, RARA gave us parking and Pit Passes for the week. We "made this trade" for many years and provided me Days at the Races and ALWAYS ~ Standing on The Flight Line (as close as you can be) for the final Unlimited Gold Race with my heart pounding thru my chest, the anticipation ~ palpable!

 

We set up a free Hospitality suite and Bar for the entire week for the participants and VIPs. During the week, little drinking went on. The Awards banquet was a different story! 






The Awards Banquet immediately followed The Gold Unlimited Race, the final event.  Our Committee of 100 or so set up our tables and chairs, prepared Steak Dinners with our famous DU Beans (I mean really famous) and set up Bars around the hangar.  I was in charge of drink ticket sales and the money. I had THE BEST JOB of all. I stood at the door and greeted all the Pilots, Crews and VIP's as they entered the hangar and sold them drink tickets.  This wonderful job allowed me to meet everyone and with Virgil Aramini's permission (Virgil WAS Reno DU) I was allowed to "Comp" those I felt deserved it.  




  Lyle Sheldon,Moya Lear, Bob Hoover, The Canadian Snow Birds, The Blue Angels... The Who's WHO of Aviation.    Everyone had to walk by me.  Most stopped to purchase hand fulls of drink tickets, $3.00 ea/4 for $10 or 10 for $20.00.  (I didn't want to make change)  I ALWAYS comp'ed the winning teams.  DU also bought the drinks for Bob Hoover, The Military Pilots, Chuck Yeager, etc.   Everyone I thought deserved a drink ~ or 5.  



As part of our meal, we would bring and warm hundreds of dinner rolls.  At one banquet, a roll went flying at another team's table ~  then a few more ~ and then all the week's tension and frustration, excitement and hard work let loose... and we watched as hundreds of dinner rolls flew like the planes we were celebrating!















 Maybe 20 years ago, before I became a DU Volunteer at the races, I parked under the pylon at the end of the course (when you still could) unfolded the tailgate on my Jeep and sat with my daughter Nicole on my lap. Suzanne and Kelly watched with us.  When the unlimited race begins, Pilot Extraordinaire ~ Mr Bob Hoover leads the planes around at an altitude of maybe 2500'and then turns them loose, on the radio AND on the loudspeaker system with, "Gentlemen..You have a RACE!" at which point the planes  DIVE at about 500MPH for the course. They came SO CLOSE and Were SO LOUD ~ that it petrified Nicole!  (and thrilled me beyond any racing experience I EVER HAD!)
 In my ENTIRE life, this was my most "Up Close and Personal" moment! The planes are diving right AT you and less than half a football field away from you, at an altitude of maybe 75 feet when they begin their 500 Mile per Hour Turn....  The Visual, the Sound, the sheer power of that moment becomes forever imprinted on your brain.
 the photos used in this post are courtesy of various photographers and fans like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment